We want you on our team! Apply today.
The position is responsible for growing the Midwestern BioAg (MBA) business within the assigned territory, relating to wholesale products and sales. The Business Development Manager will be a key partner within their customers’ agricultural retail operation through consulting on agronomy, soil health, and balanced fertility to help maximize returns on investment. A successful Business Development Manager is responsible for all sales activities within assigned territory, alignment with corporate goals, accurate budget/forecasts, and timely communication.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Sell Midwestern BioAg products and programs to agricultural retail operations, distributors, and other wholesale accounts.
- Develop and maintain a strong account pipeline and convert those relationships to sales.
- Educate and influence customers through training and promoting MBA’s innovative products that enhance nutrient efficiency.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of customer buying habits and drivers.
- Maintain deep knowledge of agronomy and agriculture business.
- Assist wholesale customers with their MBA product portfolio management, including the introduction to new products and their relationships with retail customers (farmers).
- Participate in setting strategic direction for the company as it relates to wholesale channel management, pricing, and new product introductions.
- Monitor industry trends and business strategies, and effectively communicate these trends to management.
- Provide management with regular updates on sales pipeline opportunities.
- Deeply analyze competition and competitive products.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in one of the following: Agri-Business, Business, Marketing, Ag Econ or Agronomy; and
- 5 -7 years of hands-on, successful sales experience, retail and/or wholesale; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Valid drivers’ license
- Willing to work 50+ hours per week and outside of standard work week
- Willingness to travel 60% of the time.
- Ability to effectively communicate concepts, philosophies, and ideas to a diverse group of customers.
- Strong managerial aptitude and the ability to easily explain concepts and articulate information to customers, management, and wholesale customers.
- In-depth knowledge of the Agribusiness products portfolio, manufacturing, product costs, logistic, territories, customers, geographies, competitor products, and capabilities.
- Extensive knowledge of the agricultural marketplace and retail industry, purchasing, and logistics.
- Excellent understanding of basic farming operations.
- Solid knowledge of the ag retail and cooperative system and operations.
- Ability to identify sales opportunities and leverage MBA products and services to increase the market share.
- Experience utilizing a CRM program, including establishing usage metrics and data collection methods.
- Experience with analyzing sales data and trend reports.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- High-level verbal and written communication skills, especially relating to scientific speaking and/or writing-related to biological sciences.
- Ability to present ideas or data in business- and user-friendly language.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to create and maintain strong rapport with employees, customers, and members of the public.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as LMS programs.
- Proven analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
- Keen attention to detail and ability to generate accurate data.
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to be thoughtful, thorough, and proactive in all work processes.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
The working conditions and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequent travel is required within the service area, 50-75% of the time, occasionally overnight for meetings and seminars.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and talk or hear. Sitting for long periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate and is typical of an office setting.
- Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds.
- Frequent use of computer equipment including long hours of viewing computer screens, keyboarding and mousing.
- Occasional exposure to outside weather conditions, especially during busy field seasons.
To succeed in this job, the individual must perform each essential job responsibility satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities. Job descriptions represent a general outline of job responsibilities and qualifications. They are not intended to be comprehensive in nature. In addition, jobs evolve over time and, therefore, their descriptions may not reflect the precise nature of the position at a given point of time.
Reports to: Director of Sales
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised: June 2022