Research Technician – Madison, WI
Exciting Research Product Development Opportunity!
Midwestern BioAg has an excellent opportunity for a Research Technician at our Madison headquarters to develop an NOP-compliant version of our new TerraNu product line. The focus of this position will be to conduct research relating to the development of this product.
Background: Midwestern BioAg creates and sells novel soil fertility products, including separation of nutrients from waste streams which are reformulated to high-performance fertility products.
General Description: The Research Technician position will work closely on method development and analysis for a new agricultural fertility product and related nutrient-capture flocculants as part of an existing SBIR grant. The Research Technician has knowledge of basic water treatment technologies and polymers, wet chemistry associated with the analysis of water quality and the ability to apply this knowledge to work on this project. This position will align the new product development with a parallel market analysis. This position may also work on other special projects as time allows.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Initiates, coordinates, and conducts the Organic TerraNu Product development project as it relates to the SBIR grant
- Demonstrates competency with laboratory work and the use of analytical instrumentation.
- Develops and performs complex laboratory experiments in support of new and existing product and application initiatives.
- including collaborations with external partners, such as academic groups, national lab, and contract testing labs.
- Conducts competitive product evaluations and benchmarking of relevant products in regards to the organic TerraNu product development.
- Maintains timely, accurate, and thorough documentation of laboratory procedures and results; prepares analytical work sheets and reports.
- Participates in collaborations with external partners, such as academic groups, national lab, and contract testing labs.
- Develops mutually beneficial, respectful and effective relationships with peers to ensure seamless coordination between departments, maximize synergy, and maintain a shared vision, strategy, and focus.
- Supports the healthy, safety, and environmental programs by participating in compliance and corporate programs.
- Special project work as dictated by business needs.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or master’s degree in chemistry, biology, engineering or related field with at least 5 years relevant work experience, preferably in product development for fertilizer, water treatment, or other related industry.
- Prior research lab experience, especially involving NIR, spectroscopy, and other elemental analysis methodologies. Experience conducting microbiological assays and cell cultures.
- Current knowledge of polymeric materials in agriculture and water treatment industries in a plus.
- Has familiarity (or the ability to gain familiarity) with organic certification requirements.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point as well as statistical programs.
- Proven analytical, evaluative and problem-solving abilities.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to generate accurate data and excellent written communication skills
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to be thoughtful, thorough, and proactive in all work processes.
- Ability to work outside of standard work week as dictated by business needs.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid drivers’ license and ability to drive a vehicle.
- Ability to multi-task, work to deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially relating to scientific speaking and/or writing with the ability to present ideas or data in business- and user-friendly language.
- Ability to create and maintain strong rapport with employees, customers, and members of the public.
- Customer Focus: Builds effective relationships (internal and external), identifies customer expectations, and sees issues from their point of view; offers practical recommendations.
- Collaboration: seeks and enlists active participation of others to reach goals
- Personal Accountability: Accepts responsibility for own actions, including failure. Embraces experiences as learning opportunities and not chances to blame.
- Proactive Approach & Initiative: Identifies what needs to be done and doing it before being asked by developing a path to a desired outcome including sequence, feedback points, and time estimates.
- Priority Setting: Determines the interrelationships and relative importance of tasks and takes action accordingly
- Adaptability: Flexible style; receptive to change; able to fit the circumstances.
- Innovation: Generates new ideas and approaches to enhance the organization’s systems, products, or effectiveness.
- Humor: Uses appropriate humor to maintain a positive environment.
- Time Management: allocates time efficiently to the most important issues and knows what not to spend time on; completes work in a timely fashion.
- Planning: develops a path to a desired outcome including sequence, feedback points, and time estimates.