Our Forage Program
Improving Production From the Ground Up
Midwestern BioAg was founded by a dairy nutritionist over 30 years ago with a single goal: Help dairies improve milk production from the ground up. By focusing on soil health, we’ve found ways to increase both forage yields and quality. That’s why we’ve stayed focused on the foundation of all farm success — soil health.
Our crop inputs leverage the power of soil microbes to yield forages with higher levels of digestible fiber, protein and essential minerals such as calcium. On-farm and independent research trials prove that our program can increase the quality and quantity of forages grown. As a result, milk production per acre rises, and out-of-pocket supplemental mineral costs decline.
Dry Fertilizer Blends
Midwestern BioAg’s dry fertilizer blends optimize plant growth and forage quality by providing balanced nutrition for both the soil and the crop. Beyond NPK, our blends contain essential secondary and micronutrients to yield quality forages that support the nutritional needs of today’s high-performing dairy cattle. As a result, growers on our program benefit from an improved bottom line by reducing the need for purchased feeds and nutritional supplements.
At Midwestern BioAg, we understand that fertilizer ingredient quality is more important than the NPK numbers on the tag. We select fertilizer ingredients to create balanced blends that meet the needs of the soil and the crop for optimal performance.
Our fertilizers are:
- Balanced. We balance and blend the right nutrients for your soil and crops, optimizing yields and quality. We address yield-limiting factors by complementing NPK with calcium, sulfur, trace minerals and organic matter to feed soil life and increase nutrient availability.
- Healthier for the Soil. Some fertilizers can negatively impact soil life and plant health. Our fertilizers are blended with materials that stimulate and support both soil microbes and plant roots.
- Available Season-Long. Most fertilizers give plants a quick charge for a short period of time; ours deliver nutrients throughout the growing season. We mix soluble nutrients with others that are available season-long, enhancing nutrient uptake and performance throughout the year.
Liquid Carbon-Based Fertilizer (L-CBF)
Our L-CBF product line can be applied to regrowth after harvest to boost both forage yield and quality. Made from a molasses base, L-CBF contains sugar to help stimulate soil life and increase plant nutrient availability. L-CBF can be added to herbicides to help reduce drift while also speeding regrowth, allowing growers to intensify harvest schedules without sacrificing plant health and yield.
Soil nutrient deficiencies and inadequate pH levels are serious yield-limiting factors. Calcium, boron and other nutrients such as sulfur play significant roles in improving forage yields and quality. Using our soil amendments, producers can correct nutrient deficiencies and improve pH levels to grow higher-yielding, more nutrient-dense forages.
We offer the following soil amendments:
- Bio-Cal® and OrganiCal™: Bio-Cal and OrganiCal deliver multiple sources of highly available calcium and plant-available sulfur to improve forage yield and quality. These proven products provide fast-acting and slow-release calcium for season-long plant health and performance.
- Potassium Sulfate: Potassium sulfate has a lower salt index than potassium chloride and also supplies sulfate sulfur for improved plant performance. Sulfate sulfur is highly plant available and supports complete protein formation in plants.
- High-Cal Lime: Forages grow best when soil pH levels are around 6.8 to 7.2. Adding high-cal lime when a pH increase is needed can boost yields, while added calcium can improve plant nutrient availability.
Forage Seed Varieties
Our forage seed varieties have been carefully selected for yield potential, feed quality, disease and pest resistance and regional adaptability. Options include both pure alfalfa and grass mixes for all types of livestock in a variety of production stages.
- WinterKing™ III Alfalfa: The third generation of WinterKing alfalfa, WinterKing III will produce forage with high dry matter yield, milk-per-acre and NDFD. With its strong multi-leaf expression rate and leaf-to-stem ratio, this new variety will produce high-performing, nutrient-dense forages for livestock. WinterKing III is Nitro-Coat treated.
- HQF Dry Tolerant Pasture: Our HQF Dry Tolerant Pasture mix is a blend of tall fescue (50%), meadow fescue (30%), perennial rye (15%) and timothy (5%). While most high-energy pastures go dormant in late summer, this blend is designed for improved heat and drought tolerance. As a result, pastures will grow longer into the summer and provide energy for season-long production.
- HQF Hi-Energy Pasture: Our HQF Hi-Energy Pasture blend is designed for grazing dairy cattle and finishing cattle and sheep. It includes perennial rye (40%), tall fescue (25%), meadow fescue (20%) and festulolium (15%). Pair with red clover and chicory to provide livestock with a highly digestible source of energy.
- HQF Dry Hay: HQF Dry Hay is a mixture of tall fescue (80%), orchardgrass (15%) and timothy (5%) selected for dry weather and heat tolerance. Although timothy goes dormant in late-summer, it provides exceptional energy and quality in early cuttings. Pair HQF Dry Hay blend with WinterKing alfalfa for a superior forage blend.